Crime Line


27 January 2021

What a change to last week’s hot, summer days! It’s fair to say that we’ve seen all four seasons this week, but remember there’s no such thing as bad weather… just the wrong clothes!

I’ll start this week’s Crime Line off by recommending that you keep an eye on your letterboxes, especially if you’re in Hāwea. It seems some of our younger generation are trying out their skills to be posties, maybe their parents should tell them that the post goes in the box, you don’t take it out.

Throughout the week you might have seen some friendly, but unfamiliar boys and girls in blue, with another focus on our roads. Unfortunately, they were kept busy with a number of people driving over the alcohol limit. These checkpoints can happen anywhere, at any time, so don’t take the risk and better still, just don’t drive if you’re out for some drinks – it’s not worth your licence and everyone else’s safety.

Police were called later in the week to an argument between a couple who were experiencing difficulties in understanding some new relationship boundaries. Police supported the pair who hopefully they have a bright future together.

First thing Saturday morning, Police and Wanaka Search & Rescue responded to a beacon activation with the aid of a local helicopter partner, to extract a tramper from Albert Burn. They had successfully relocated their kneecap in the back country and waited until first light to set off their beacon and get lifted out. You are one tough cookie!

Later in the day Police and Fire (FENZ) attended to the large plumes of thick smoke on Maxwell Road that you might have seen out behind town. It was established that it was a controlled burn on farmland. FENZ are investigating whether permits were in force or not.

In the evening Police spoke to some friendly travellers out past Glendhu Bay who looked like they were freedom camping. They were enjoying a stunning sunset by the water, good job.
Saturday night was a big demand for Police with party-goers losing the ability to stay in control for the closing night of Mint Bar. As a result, there were assaults and other disorders in and around town, culminating in arrests.

It appeared the night was not yet done when an intoxicated driver crashed into a pedestrian crossing.
When day shift started on Sunday morning, the officers from the previous night were still working…
There was more to be had however, with two separate Search & Rescue beacon activations from the Siberia Valley and Dingle Burn.

Here’s to a new week.